Swedish father/daughter duo star in Kona event
The 2012 Kona North American Windsurfing Championships were held on Lake Waconia Aug. 24-26.
Unfortunately, a lack of wind delayed action on Friday and led to no races being held on Sunday. Despite this challenge, 55 competitors from Canada, Europe and the United States were still able to compete in the event, which included 10 races held over Friday and Saturday.
The Swedish father/daughter duo of Joachim Larsson and Kajsa Larsson took first and second place, respectively.
Three Twin Cities area windsurfers finished in top 10. Steve Johnson of Shoreview was fourth, Adam Anderson of Eagan took fifth, and Rob Evans of Excelsior finished sixth.
Other area windsurfers that finished in the top 20 included Peter Hill of Excelsior, who was 13th, and Steve Cool of Wayzata, who placed 17th.
Top 20 Finishers:
1) Joachim Larsson-Motala, Sweden
2) Kajsa Larsson-Motala, Sweden
3) Arden Anderson-Frontenac, WI USA
4) Steve Johnson-Shoreview, MN USA
5) Adam Anderson-Eagan, MN USA
6) Rob Evans-Excelsior, MN USA
7) Brad Woodworth-Dryden, Ontario Canada
8) Joe Marotti-Houston, TX USA
9) Bruce Matlack-Anna Maria, FL USA
10) Bob Shutteworth-Toronto, Ontario Canada
11) Jeff Adamski-Ostega, WI USA
12) Mark Zutek-Houston, TX USA
13) Peter Hill-Excelsior, MN USA
14) Robert Mew-Toronto, Ontario Canada
15) Wayne Anderson-Oconomowoc, WI USA
16) Steve Callaway-Salon, IA USA
17) Steve Cool-Wayzata, MN USA
18) Alex Monroe-Chicago, IL USA
19) Karen Monroe-St. Petersburg, FL USA
20) Chris Mihill-St. Louis, MO USA