‘Cats log seven shutouts in last nine games

Junior Charlie Spurbeck faces off against a Hutchinson defender on Sept. 13.
Junior Charlie Spurbeck faces off against a Hutchinson defender on Sept. 13.

The Waconia boys’ soccer team is continuing to strengthen their lead in the Wright County Conference in hopes of defending their 2011 WCC title. The Wildcats are thus undefeated in 2012, holding on to an 8-0-1 record after picking up three shutout victories last week over Glencoe-Silver Lake, Hutchinson, and Shakopee.

Waconia 6, G-SL 0
At Glencoe-Silver Lake on Sept. 11, junior Charlie Spurbeck began the scoring early for the Wildcats. Just minutes into the game, junior James Nash had a backheel pass to Spurbeck, who put it through the goal. After a through ball from junior Marcel Montiel, senior Seth Krueger put in the team’s second goal. Before the half was out, senior Ian Manske played in a corner kick that senior Nick Dirnberger headed into the goal. Senior Billy Schultz picked up an errant pass from the Panthers’ goalie and put it back into the net to give the Wildcats a 4-0 lead at halftime.

In the second half, senior Mitch Zebell shot a goal passed the fingertips of Glencoe-Silver Lake’s goalie, assisted by senior Brandon Benson. Zebell would finish the scoring for the ‘Cats after a pass from junior Jack Dirnberger. Senior goalie Brandon Gonzalez had three saves for the shutout.

Waconia 5, Hutchinson 0
The game began slowly on Sept. 13, with neither team scoring in the first 20 minutes of play. For the next ten seconds, it was all Nash as he put in two goals to quickly put the ‘Cats up 2-0. In his first goal, Nash scored off a corner put-in from Manske. On the kick-off after the goal, Nash intercepted a back pass and plowed through the defense to score a second goal, just eight seconds after his first. The goals put Nash’s name in the school record books for the two quickest goals.

Junior James Nash scored two goals in eight seconds on Sept. 13.
Junior James Nash scored two goals in eight seconds on Sept. 13.

Before the half was up, Schultz scored an unassisted goal after stealing a pass to put the Wildcats up 3-0.

Ten minutes into the second half, Krueger scored goal number four for the Wildcats before Nick Dirnberger finished the scoring, assisted by junior Nick Bohman. Gonzalez had three saves for the shutout.

Waconia 2, Shakopee 0
The Wildcats’ 2-0 shutout over Shakopee on Sept. 15 marked Waconia’s seventh shutout in nine games this season. When the teams last met in 2011, Shakopee emerged victorious in a 2-1 game. But the same would not be true this time, even though head coach Tyrel Seim said the Sabers were a good team that Waconia anticipated would give the Wildcats some problems.

Spurbeck played through the Shakopee defense in the first half to feed the ball to Nash, who scored to lead 1-0 at halftime. The Sabers had a few shots on goal in the first half, all saved by Gonzalez. He finished the game with five saves.

Seim said the Wildcats turned up the pressure in the second half, which led to slightly sloppy offense.

“We missed a few shots that we will need to make when the playoffs come,” Seim said.

Montiel put the game away for the Wildcats, scoring the second goal of the game.

The Wildcats will host Holy Family and Chaska Thursday and Saturday, before hitting the road next week against Orono and Mound-Westonka.