Fall is in the air—and so are the geese. Have you seen or heard them flying overhead? Let’s take our cue from Psalm 19:1 “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands”
Look to the sky and let’s learn some lessons from God’s geese. I have adapted these from the original work “Lessons from Geese,” written by Baltimore science teacher Dr. Robert McNeish.
1. Achieving goals As each goose flaps its wings it creates an updraft for the birds to follow. By flying in a “V” formation the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone. When we have a sense of community and focus, we create trust and can help each other to achieve goals quicker and easier.
2. Team work When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back to take advantage of the lifting power of the birds in front. So let’s you and I stay in formation with those heading where we want to go. Plus we should be willing to both give and receive others’ help.
3. Sharing When a goose tires of flying up front it drops back into formation and another goose flies to the point position. It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks. As with geese, people are interdependent on each other’s unique arrangement of skills, talents & resources.
4. Empathy When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to the ground to help and protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. If we have as much sense as geese we will stand by each other in difficult times, as well as when we are strong.
5. Encouragement Geese flying in formation HONK—you’ve heard them. Why? To encourage those up in front. Make sure your honking is encouraging to your family, church, team or group.
We can learn much from God’s creation because He is the creator. He designed His world this way. Let’s be wise and learn from His geese. If not, you’re destined to be a silly goose (sorry, I couldn’t resist!)
Greg Loomis is the Pastor of Adult Ministries at Watertown Evangelical Free Church.