ISD #110 receives good news on audit
The Waconia School Board conducted its final regular meeting of 2013 on Monday, Dec. 10. The main part of the meeting centered on the district’s 2013 levy.
As reported in last week’s Waconia Patriot, the board unanimously approved the 2013 levy after Todd Swanson, Director of Finance and Operations, gave a presentation that served as the district’s Truth-in-Taxation hearing for taxes payable in 2013. No one from the public attended the hearing.
The 2013 levy is $10,627,952, which is an increase of approximately 5 percent (about $515,000) compared to the $10,112,741 levy in 2012.
Swanson noted there were several reasons for the increase in the levy. The largest chunk of the increase (about $217,000) is related to scheduled debt service payments (bond payments for school facilities, etc.). A second reason for the increase in the levy is related to the fluctuation of property values throughout the district.
Another $190,000 of the increase is related to costs associated with serving the district’s ever-increasing number of students. The district budgeted for 3,515 students and had 3,562 students as of Dec. 3, 2012. Total enrollment was 3,303 on Oct. 1, 2010, meaning the district has added 259 students in just over two years.
For more information on the school portion of their taxes, citizens should consult the preliminary tax statement that was sent by Carver County. To learn more about the district’s 2013 budget, contact Swanson at the district office at (952) 442-0600 or visit the district website at www.waconia.k12.mn.us.
Also during the meeting:
• The board approved the district’s audit concerning the fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2012. CliftonLarsonAllen prepared the audit.
According to the audit, key financial highlights for the 2011-12 fiscal year included an increase in net assets by $1,397,331 or 7.9 percent over June 30, 2011 and Total General Fund revenues being $30,111,409 as compared to $29,895,016 of expenditures.
According to Swanson, the district received a clean audit report.
“There were two minor compliance issues that were found that have been taken care of,” he noted. “Fall enrollment showed an increase of 106 students and 486 students over the last five years or 16.6 percent. This trend is expected to continue for at least the next five years.”
• The district is at the end of the second year of a four-year Transportation Agreement with Koch Bus Company. As part of the agreement, the rates for the final two years of the contract covering the 2013 and 2014 calendar years were to be negotiated at this time. The rates for the final two years of the contract now include a 2 percent increase (related to COLA) for both years.
• The 2013-14 school year calendar received approval. The first day of school for grades 1-9 is Tuesday, Sept. 3, for grades 10-12 and all day kindergarten is Wednesday, Sept. 4, and half day kindergarten is Thursday, Sept. 5.
Homecoming will be held on Friday, Sept. 27. There will be no school for near MEA weekend from Wednesday, Oct. 16 through Friday, Oct. 18. At Thanksgiving, there will be no school from Tuesday, Nov. 26 through Friday, Nov. 29. Winter break will be held from Monday, Dec. 23 through Wednesday, Jan. 1. Spring break is scheduled for March 10-14. Graduation will be Sunday, June 1. The last day of school is Thursday, June 5.
• The board acknowledged donations for Smartboards made by the Bayview PTO ($3,725) and the Southview PTO ($6,000).
• The board’s next meeting will be its organizational meeting at Waconia City Hall at 6 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 14 followed by the regular board meeting at 7 p.m.