Watertown-Mayer School Board Minutes (1-3-13)
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 111
BOARD OF EDUCATION
WATERTOWN, MINNESOTA 55388
January 3, 2013
I. The regular meeting of the Watertown-Mayer School Board in the Watertown City Hall on Thursday, January 3, 2013 was called to order at 5:05 PM by Chair McCain. Board members present: Janikula, Thompson, Burns, Hoover, McCain and Koehler. Absent: Salonek. Administration team members present: Superintendent Marlette, Guertin, Pauly, Hittle and Piersak. Absent: Hennen and Fitzsimonds.
II. Visitor requests and consideration of agenda. MMS (Motion made and Seconded by) Burns and Hoover to approve the agenda as amended. Passes 6-0
III. General Business Items
MMS Hoover and Thompson to approve the following consent agenda items: Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of December 17, 2012; Personnel consent agenda; business consent agenda – operations update. Passes 6-0.
IV. Recognitions/Presentations: None
V. Reports by Guests, Administration and Board
Cindy Bauer and Chris Lund reported on the Special Education Advisory Committee. Next meeting is January 14th.
Nick Guertin and Michael Piersak presented the board with information regarding the Read 180.
Mr. Marlette presented the board with information regarding the boiler in the HS, Special Board Meeting on February 4th at 5:30 PM in the District Office and MSBA function on January 17, 2013.
VI. Old Business
VII. New Business
A. Election of board officers
1. Nominations for Chair – Motion made by Burns to elect McCain as Board Chairperson. Seconded by Janikula. MMS Koehler and Hoover to cease and cast a unanimous ballot for McCain. Ayes: Hoover, Burns, Koehler, Thompson and Janikula. Nays: None. McCain is elected.
2. Nominations for Vice-Chair – Motion made by Burns to elect Koehler as Board Vice-Chairperson. Seconded by Hoover. MMS Thompson and Janikula to cease and cast a unanimous ballot for Koehler. Ayes: Hoover, Burns, McCain, Thompson and Janikula. Nays: None. Koehler is elected.
3. Nominations for Treasurer – Motion made by Hoover to elect Janikula as Board Treasurer. Seconded by Burns. MMS Hoover and Koehler to cease and cast a unanimous ballot for Janikula. Ayes: Hoover, Burns, McCain, Koehler and Thompson. Nays: None. Janikula is elected.
4. Nominations for Clerk – Motion made by Janikula to elect Hoover as Board Clerk. Seconded by Burns. MMS Burns and Janikula to cease and cast a unanimous ballot for Hoover. Ayes: Burns, McCain, Koehler, Thompson and Janikula. Nays: None. Hoover is elected.
B. School board member manual and policy manual
1. MMS Burns and Hoover to approve the WM ISD #111 FY 2012 School Board Policy Manual as the WM ISD #111 FY 2013 School Board Policy Manual, with no changes at this time. Passes 6-0.
C. Committee objectives and assignments
Personnel/Negotiations Committee: Chad Koehler – chair; Burns, Thompson Operations/Buildings/Grounds Committee: Steve Burns – chair; Jennifer Janikula; Tim Thompson
Budget & Finance: Jennifer Janikula – chair; Therese Salonek; Jennifer Hoover
CSEC Representative: Jennifer Hoover
Community Education Advisory Committee: Chad Koehler
MSHSL Representative: Tim Thompson
D. Official designations
1. MMS Thompson and Burns to accept the official designations be set for FY
2013 as follows:
Newspaper: Carver County News and the Herald Journal News
Bank Depositories: MSDLAF, MSDMAX, Bremer Bank, LaSalle
Bank, Security State Bank, MN Trust/PMA
i Legal Advisors: Kennedy & Graven; Knutson; Flynn and Deans; Hellmuth & Johnson
Financial Advisor: Springsted Financial; MN Trust/PMA Financial
Ayes: Hoover, Burns, McCain, Koehler, Thompson and Janikula. Nays: None. Passes 6 -0
E. MMS Janikula and Burns to designate Superintendent David A. Marlette, Finance Officer Lisa Raiter and Payroll/Benefits Officer Eileen Nelson to initiate and transact, invest authorize district funds and transfers on behalf of Watertown-Mayer Public Schools for FY 2012. Ayes: Hoover, Burns, McCain, Koehler, Thompson and Janikula. Nays: None. Passes 6 -0
F. MMS Hoover and Thompson to approve the Watertown-Mayer Regular School Board meeting dates to be held on the 4th Monday of each month during the 2013 year, at 7:00 PM at the Watertown City Hall; except for March’s meeting on March 18th, May’s meeting being May 20th and December’s meeting being December 16th due to conflicts. Ayes: Hoover, Burns, McCain, Koehler, Thompson and Janikula. Nays: None. Passes 6 -0
MMS Thompson and Burns to amend the original motion to state that the meeting times will be 7:00 PM for the April through November meetings and 5:30 PM for the December through March meetings. Ayes: Hoover, Burns, McCain, Koehler, Thompson and Janikula. Nays: None. Passes 6-0
G. MMS Thompson and Hoover to approve the raising of the Watertown-Mayer ISD #111 District mileage rate from $0.33 per/mile to the approved IRS National Mileage Rate of $0.55 per/mile. Passes 6-0.
H. MMS Hoover and Koehler to approve the hiring of Mr. Kyle Hoffman as our
Watertown-Mayer ISD #111 Technology Support Specialist starting as per attached
information hiring sheet. Passes 6-0.
I. MMS Koehler and Thompson to approve the purchase of 45 licenses for the Read 180 Program, as per attached documents. Passes 6-0.
VIII. Discussion of issues or open comments by School Board Directors.
Reminder for the board the 2013 MSBA Leadership Conference in January 17 & 18, 2013 at the Minneapolis Convention Center. Jennifer Janikula and Chad Koehler will be our representatives for the iPad presentation on January 17th.
Reminder of upcoming School Board Meetings:
Special School Board February 4, 2013 5:30 PM District Office
Regular School Board February 25, 2013 5:30 PM Watertown City Hall
Topics at the February 4th Meeting:
Primary School Remodel Bid Outcomes and Approvals; Security Options; Work Session to Develop District Strategic Plan; Board Committee Structure.
IX. MMS Thompson and Janikula to adjourn the meeting at 7:00 PM and was duly passed.
John McCain, Chair
Jennifer Hoover, Clerk
(Published in Carver County News March 7, 2013)