Around the noon hour on Monday, July 1, the Waconia Fire Department responded to a call at Ladybug Child Care Center in Waconia, where a smoke odor was reported in the building. Ladybug officials called 9-1-1 and evacuated approximately 100 children and staff.
According to Fire Chief Mark Morse, upon arrival, firefighters found a strong electrical smell and a smoke haze inside the building and assumed command. Waconia Tower 11 responded with five firefighters and Engine 11 responded with three firefighters. Morse said Victoria Fire responded mutual aid to the scene with six firefighters and an engine while Mayer Fire stood by at the Waconia station with an engine and a crew of six to cover additional responses.
Morse said the source was a burnt up electric motor in one of the rooftop AC units. The building was ventilated and the kids and staff were allowed back inside a short time later.