Fire engulfs shed in Dahlgren Township

Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson reported that deputies, the Cologne Fire Department, and several assisting fire departments responded to a structure fire at 8260 Maplewood Road in Dahlgren Township.

The incident occurred on July 25, 2013 at approximately 5:05 a.m. The fire was reported by the homeowner who was awakened by the noise from the burning building.

The 44 x 80 shed was fully engulfed in flames. The structure had served as a workshop and storage shed and contained various tools and equipment. The structure was also used to store approximately 175 hay bales and house four calves. All of the contents of the shed were destroyed.

The fire also caused damage to an adjacent wall of a dairy barn. The homeowner was able to evacuate the cows from the dairy barn and no contents were destroyed.
The State Fire Marshall’s Office is investigating the fire, but does not believe it to be suspicious at this time.

The preliminary determination of the cause of the fire is “wet” hay bales spontaneously igniting.

up arrow