According to Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson, deputies responded to an active house fire at 1:35 a.m. The three occupants of the home were safely outside of the residence when emergency personnel arrived. Deputies observed smoke coming from the residence upon arrival and observed flames in the attic through a window. Firefighters arrived and worked throughout the night to extinguish the blaze, finishing up at 10:32 a.m.
The fire is still under investigation, but preliminary evidence suggests this was an electrical fire. The home and its contents were completely destroyed by the fire.
The American Red Cross came to the scene and assisted the occupants of the home. Norwood Young America Fire Department was assisted by fire departments from Waconia, Mayer, Cologne and New Germany. Ridgeview Ambulance responded as well.
Olson warned people that fires can strike anywhere at any time, so it is important to be sure to have functioning smoke detectors properly installed in your home. Also, this is a good time to remind people to be careful not to overload electrical circuits with too many appliances. If your fuses are blowing or your circuit breakers popping, hire a qualified electrician to look at your system.