School District 111
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 111
BOARD OF EDUCATION
January 6, 2014
I. The regular meeting of the Watertown-Mayer School Board in the Watertown City Hall on Monday, January 6th, 2014 was called to order at 5:40 PM by Chair McCain. Board members present: Janikula, McCain, Jackson, Hoover and Thompson. Absent: Koehler and Burns. Administration team members present: Superintendent Marlette and Pauly.
II. Visitor requests and consideration of agenda. MMS (Motion made and Seconded by) Thompson and Hoover to approve the agenda as amended. Passes 5-0.
III. General Business Items
MMS Hoover and Janikula to approve the following consent agenda items: Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of December 6, 2013; Personnel consent agenda; business consent agenda; Enrollment count. Passes 5-0
IV. Recognitions/Presentations: None
V. Reports by Guests, Administration and Board Information provided by Dean of Students Pauly regarding All-Day Kindergarten Proposals; Superintendent Marlette on 16th MSBA Convention and snow make-up school days.
VI. Old Business
A. MMS Janikula and Jackson to approve the 2014-2015 Watertown-Mayer ISD No. 111 Master School Calendar as presented. Passes 5-0.
VII. New Business
A. Election of board officers
1. Nominations for Chair Motion made by Hoover to elect McCain as Board Chairperson. Seconded by Janikula. MMS Thompson and Hoover to cease and cast a unanimous ballot for McCain. Ayes: Hoover, Jackson, Thompson and Janikula. Nays: None. McCain is elected.
2. Nominations for Vice-Chair Motion made by Thompson to elect Janikula as Board Vice-Chairperson. Seconded by Jackson. MMS Hoover and Thompson to cease and cast a unanimous ballot for Janikula. Ayes: Hoover, Jackson. McCain and Thompson. Nays: None. Janikula is elected.
3. Nominations for Treasurer Motion made by Hoover to elect Jackson as Board Treasurer. Seconded by McCain. MMS Janikula and Thompson to cease and cast a unanimous ballot for Jackson. Ayes: Hoover, McCain, Janikula and Thompson. Nays: None. Jackson is elected.
4. Nominations for Clerk Motion made by Janikula to elect Hoover as Board Clerk. Seconded by Jackson. MMS Janikula and Thompson to cease and cast a unanimous ballot for Hoover. Ayes: McCain, Jackson, Thompson and Janikula. Nays: None. Hoover is elected.
B. School board member manual and policy manual
1. MMS Thompson and Hoover to approve the WM ISD #111 FY 2013 School Board Policy Manual as the WM ISD #111 FY 2014 School Board Policy Manual, with no changes at this time. Passes 5-0.
C. Committee objectives and assignments
Personnel/Negotiations Committee: Tim Thompson – chair; Burns, Koehler
Operations/Buildings/Grounds Committee: Steve Burns – chair; Hoover; Thompson
Budget & Finance: Jennifer Janikula chair; Jackson; McCain
SW Metro Coop Representative: Johnson, McCain
Community Education Advisory Committee: Jennifer Hoover
MSHSL Representative: Tim Thompson
Communications Committee: Jeff Jackson chair; Janikula; Hoover
D. Official designations
MMS Thompson and Janikula to accept the official designations be set for FY 2014 as follows:
Newspaper: Carver County News and the Herald Journal News
Bank Depositories: MSDLAF, MSDMAX, Bremer Bank, LaSalle Bank,
Security State Bank, MN Trust/PMA Financial
Legal Advisors: Kennedy & Graven, Knutson, Flynn and Deans, Hellmuth & Johnson
Financial Advisor: Springsted Financial, MN Trust/PMA Financial
Ayes: Hoover, McCain, Thompson, Jackson and Janikula. Nays: None. Passes 5 -0
E. MMS Janikula and Hoover to designate Superintendent David A. Marlette, Finance Officer Lisa Raiter and Payroll/Benefits Officer Eileen Nelson to initiate and transact, invest authorize district funds and transfers on behalf of Watertown-Mayer Public Schools for FY 2013. Ayes: Hoover, Jackson, McCain, Thompson and Janikula. Nays: None. Passes 5 -0
F. MMS Jackson and Janikula to approve the following 2014 calendar dates and meeting times for the Watertown-Mayer ISD #111 Regular School Board Meetings to be held at the Watertown City Hall.
January 6, 2014 @ 5:30 p.m.
February 24, 2014 @ 5:30 p.m.
March 17, 2014 @ 5:30 p.m.
April 28, 2014 @ 7:00 p.m.
May 19, 2014 @ 7:00 p.m.
June 23, 2014 @ 7:00 p.m.
July 28, 2014 @ 7:00 p.m.
August 25, 2014 @ 7:00 p.m.
September 22, 2014@ 7:00 p.m.
October 27, 2014 @ 7:00 p.m.
November 24, 2014@ 7:00 p.m.
December 15, 2014 @ 5:30 p.m.
Ayes: Hoover, McCain, Thompson, Jackson and Janikula. Nays: None Passes 5-0
G. MMS Thompson and Hoover to approve, with congratulations, the promotion of Watertown-Mayer ISD No 111 Dean of Students Marnie Pauly to the level of Watertown-Mayer ISD No. 111 Principal Marnie Pauly with an effective date of January 1, 2014. Passes 5-0
H. The board discussed the setting of Superintendent Marlettes 2014 District Goals. Discussion will continue at the February meeting.
I. MMS Thompson and Hoover to approve the 2014 Agreement for Law Enforcement Services between the Watertown-Mayer ISD No 111 and the Carver County Sheriffs Office. Passes 5-0
J. MMS Janikula and Jackson to approve the 2014-2015 Watertown-Mayer ISD No. 111 All-Day Kindergarten Plan as presented by Principal Pauly. Passes 5-0
VIII. Discussion of issues or open comments by School Board Directors.
Reminder of upcoming School Board Meetings:
Reorganizational Meeting Monday, February 24, 2014 5:30 PM Watertown City Hall
IX. MMS Hoover and Thompson to adjourn the meeting at 6:45 PM and was duly passed.
John McCain, Chair
Jennifer Hoover, Clerk
184003 03/06/14, Jan 6 Reg Min
Jan 6 Reg
School District 111