The always popular Music in the Park series as presented by the Waconia Parks & Recreation Department begins on Thursday, June 5. Music in the Park events are held on most Thursdays in June and July. They begin at 7 p.m. and all are held City Square Park in downtown Waconia except in the case of inclement weather, when the venue shifts to Safari Island. The 2014 Music in the Park lineup includes:
• The Sawtooth Bluegrass Band, Thursday, June 5: The Sawtooth Bluegrass Band, with two sets of musical brothers, melds the sounds of the original bluegrass masters with the fresh sounds of today.
Combining close harmony vocals, driving instrumentation, and a sense of fun and high energy, they have a stage show that has audiences wanting more! Their repertoire includes traditional and contemporary bluegrass, classic country, gospel, original pieces and even some 70s era rock. The band has made several appearances in Branson, Mo., performed at numerous bluegrass festivals, the Minnesota State Fair, and on stage with A Prairie Home Companion’s Garrison Keillor. Info: www.sawtoothbluegrass.com.
• The Tuxedo Band, Thursday, June 12: Nicknamed the “Twin Cities Premier Party Band,” you’re guaranteed to have a good time! Playing a variety of classic and contemporary rock, country, and pop, The Tuxedo Band is simply great music, great fun and celebrates the songs that have defined generations.
• Jazz on the Prairie, Thursday, June 19: With over 20 band members, Jazz on the Prairie’s repertoire includes all styles of jazz and big band music ranging from the roaring 20s to the big band era of the 40s and the later stuff that made guys like Stan Kenton and Maynard Ferguson famous. Info: www.jazzontheprairie.com.
• Traveled Ground, Thursday, June 26: Local band Traveled Ground will take you on a journey across the American Continent with its blues, folk, rockabilly, cajun, rock, and keep your feet grounded in roots music. Fans describe Traveled Ground as a cross between Little Feat, Crosby Stills and Nash, and Los Lobos. This band is rock solid! It’s always about the music. Info: www.traveledground.com.
• No Music – Holiday Week, Thursday, July 3.
• The Splatter Sisters, Thursday, July 10: The Splatter Sisters, a Minnesota favorite in family entertainment, have been performing for years throughout the Twin Cities and locations in greater Minnesota and Wisconsin. The sassy folk and jazz-based vocals swing Andrews Sisters style. Their upbeat, interactive act makes them the perfect show band for families. From start to finish, the Splatter Sister show entertains kids and adults of all ages. Info: www.splattersisters.com.
• Kevin Bowe, Thursday, July 17: Kevin Bowe is a Minneapolis based singer/songwriter/guitarist/producer. He has earned three platinum records and placed songs on two Grammy winning albums working with Etta James, Jonny Lang, Paul Westerberg, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Joe Cocker, 3 Dog Night, Communist Daughter and many others. His own albums feature an Americana mish mash with a good old fashioned Minnesota garage rock flavor. Info: www.kevinbowe.com.
• St. Anthony Main, Thursday, July 24: St. Anthony Main is a four-part rock and roll and rhythm and blues a cappella group based in the Twin Cities. Collectively with over 50 years of entertainment experience, the group sings material from the 50s to the 80s utilizing unique doo wop, R&B, folk and contemporary arrangements with a unique sound. The St. Anthony Main has performed for numerous fairs and festivals, social organizations, women’s groups, corporate events and senior facilities and creates shows that entertain all ages with a new twist on popular hits through excellent a cappella performance.