It’s summertime and the Waconia Library remains as busy as ever during the month of July! The Waconia Library is located at 217 S. Vine St. For more information, contact (952) 442-4714.
• Service of the Month: Bookclub in a Bag kits. It’s soon time for summer and with that, it’s fun to read as a family or plan book clubs on the beach (or wherever) with your friends. Is it difficult to find a number of copies of the same book so everyone can read at the same time? Try the Library’s Book Club in a Bag.
We have them for adults, teens and children. Each Book Club in a Bag contains 10 (usually paperback) copies of one title, discussion questions, author information, and reviews. The Book Club in a Bag can be checked out for an extended loan period of six weeks, but cannot be renewed. One library cardholder will assume responsibility for returning the Book Club in a Bag and all its contents.
The kits may be reserved via the Carver County Catalog (www.carverlib.org) or by calling the library to reserve them. The bag can be picked up at the library of your choice and returned to the library of your choice during open library hours.
The Waconia Library is also home to the Summer Books projects, developed by Southview Elementary School. These are bookclub in a bag kits developed by the students at Southview for other students. The kit contains four to five copies of a book with questions to get kids started talking as well as a short summary of the book.
These are ideal to take to the beach, to the park or anywhere kids want to go during the summer with friends to read and talk about what you’ve read. The same checkout period applies to these kits. Visit the library for more information.
• The Summer Reading Program is the summer-long reading program with special events held during the summer. Children ages birth to 11 can enter the Read, Write, Draw Program and have the opportunity to win a book or a choice of other prizes. Teens ages 12-18 can enter the Best Book Ever program and have the opportunity to win a $10 gift card from Barnes and Noble or a choice of other prizes. Children can also enjoy completing a summer reading program online to earn virtual badges — check out www.carverlib.org.
• Storytimes – All library storytimes follow the Every Child Ready to Read practices that are literacy based and age appropriate. Family Storytimes are held at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesdays through Aug. 5. Lapsits (for birth to 18 months) are held at 10:30 a.m. on Fridays through Aug. 15. Call the library to register.
• Programs for Preschool and Up
— Super Storytime with Special Guest “Belle.” Join us as a professional children’s entertainment business owner shares her love of reading with children. Be sure to bring your camera for this fun photo opportunity! This event will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, July 22.
— Super Storytime with a Carver County Dairy Princess. Come and celebrate dairy farms with a special visit from a Carver County Dairy Association Princess. The princess will lead us in a storytime and will be available for pictures after the program. Be sure to bring your camera! This event will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, July 29.
• Programs for Elementary School Age Children
— Maud Hart Lovelace (for ages 8-14). Step back into time and meet Maud Hart Lovelace, as portrayed by one of the Minnesota Historical Society history players. Maud was a Minnesota author who grew up in Mankato and wrote the “Betsy-Tacy” books. Hear Maud describe what a writer’s life was like back in the 30s and 40s.
This event will be held at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, July 23.
• Programs for Teens
— Teen Bookmark Design Contest. Pick up contest rules at the library. Entries must be turned in on or before July 25.
— Teen Book Club will meet at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, July 15. Check with the library for the book being discussed.
— Jewelry Making. Spend an afternoon creating a beaded bracelet. This program is free and supplies are provided. Call to register; registration is limited to 10. It will take place at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, July 16.
• Programs for All Ages (performers)
— Bill the Juggler – Thursday, July 10 at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
— Bruce the Bug Guy – Thursday, July 17 at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
— Brodini Comedy Magic Show – Thursday, July 24 at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
— Ten Penny Tunes – Thursday, July 31 at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
— StoryWalk – Tuesday, July 15 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Fountain Park. Walk in the park, and read a book!
— Yo! Walk the Walk with Zach! – After completing the StoryWalk in the park, come over to the library where competitive yo-yo master Zach Gustafson will entertain and amaze you. Forget about walking the dog, Zach’s skills are powerful enough to split atoms and whirl up tsunamis. He will give demos every 15 minutes. This event will occur from 10:30 to 11:45 a.m. on Tuesday, July 15.
Reading, Writing and Computing
• Waconia Writers’ Workshop is held the first Saturday of every month at 10:30 a.m. in the Fireplace area. New members are always welcome in this group of aspiring writers. Inspiration and support are the key features of this group.
• Bookclubs – The Waconia Library hosts an adult bookclub on the fourth Monday of the month at 1 p.m. and a Teen bookclub on the third Tuesday of the month at 3 p.m. New members are welcome.
• Computer Help Desk – Bring your computer and e-Reader questions on Monday, July 7 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Master Gardener Help Desk – Every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Art Exhibit – Amanda Doster, Wool Art